How Can I Be Saved?
A: Being saved (born again) is the greatest moment any person will have in this lifetime. It means that in an instant, we have died to one life and began a whole new life. The Bible says in (2 Cor 5:17) “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are past away; behold, all things are become new.” Our past sins are forgiven, no matter WHAT they may be, and we start with a clean slate.
Jesus sure changed my life, and I have seen Him change many others as well. Over the years I have seen many different reactions from people making this decision for Christ. A large number feel like a burden is lifted off of their shoulders. Others, have been released from any number of bondages. Still others do not have any huge changes at that moment. But, God has promised in His word that He will work to change us. He will never leave nor forsake us (Heb 13:5). Jesus loved you so much, He gave His life on the cross for YOU! The Father has given us this choice to choose or reject the sacrifice that His Son made. The Bible says in (Jn 6:44) no man comes unless He is drawn by the Father. I have seen this amazing knocking on a person’s heart over and over. Many of you right now may feel this knocking. You may be at the bottom, with nowhere else to turn. You may have gone through your life always feeling like something is missing. You may be looking for a peace or joy that you have seen in others who proclaim the name of Jesus. Whatever the reason, you can come to Him today! He is waiting with open arms for you. How do you do this? Please allow me to show you “How You Can Be Saved.”
Being born again is: trusting (Eph 1:12-13), receiving and believing (Jn 1:12-13) in Jesus Christ to save you by faith (1 Pet 1:9) through hearing the Word (Rom 10:17), calling (Rom 10:13) upon Him in prayer, confessing He is Lord, believing God raised Him from the dead (Rom 10:9-10), and repenting of your sins (Acts 3:19).
The first step in receiving Christ is to admit you are a sinner.
(Rom 3:23) for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Because of this sin, we are all condemned.
(Rom 6:23) For the wages of sin is death (Hell); but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
This is why Jesus died on the cross for us. His blood paid the price for our sin and cleanses us from it.
(1 Pet 2:24) who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Jesus gave this as a gift to all who would accept it. There are never any works we can do to earn this. Works cause a person to have pride, and God hates pride.
(Eph 2:8-9) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (9) not of works, lest any man should boast.
After Jesus died on the cross, He was laid in a tomb. On the 3rd day, Jesus arose from the dead. The resurrection of Jesus is a very important thing for a Christian. Paul said in (1 Cor 15:14) that if Christ had not risen, his preaching was in vain. Some of the reasons the resurrection is so important are:
1. Jesus victory over death and evil showed that we have a Savior who is ALIVE. Death could not contain Him. (Acts 2:24)
2. It shows that because He overcame death, we can overcome it as well through Him. (Jn 14:19)(1 Cor 6:14)(Rom 8:11)(Phil 3:21)(1 Cor 15:20)
3. Jesus is now seated at the right hand of the Father making intercession for us. (Rom 8:34)(Heb 7:25)(Heb 9:24)(1 Jn 2:1)(Isa 53:12)
4. We need to believe in the resurrection of Jesus in order to be saved.
(Rom 10:9-10) that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (10) For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
** For more on the importance of the “The Resurrection” please see our link.
Repentance is also important for salvation. Repentance means to feel great sorrow and remorse for your sins. You are heartbroken that you have sinned against God, who loves you so much. It is a sorrow that truly WANTS to turn from sin and forsake it. Jesus said in (Lk 13:3) “I tell you, Nay: but, except you repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” In (Mt 4:17) He said, “….Repent: for the kingdom of God is at hand.” Are you willing to turn from your sins and go in a new way with your life? You may not feel like you can EVER get free from your sins, or you may not feel that God would EVER want someone like you. God CAN help you! He loves you! He knows your heart. If you are willing to change, He is willing to help.
Do you receive and believe these things you have read? If you do, there is one last step. The Bible says in (Rom 10:13) “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Are you ready to open up your heart, repent of your sins, and call upon Christ to guide you, lead you, and give you a new life? If you are, this is your moment of salvation. The following is a sinner’s prayer; it is how you can ask Jesus right now to save you.
Dear Lord Jesus,
I believe you are the Son of God and Savior of the world.
I believe that you died on the cross for me and bore all of my sins, taking the punishment I deserved.
I believe that you were resurrected from the dead so that I might have eternal life.
Jesus, I turn from trusting in myself to trusting in you alone.
Forgive me, save me, and come to live inside of me.
I repent of my sins and ask you to help me turn from them.
I need your righteousness and I want to be born again.
In your Holy Name I pray Jesus,
My friend, if you made this decision right now, you have a new life today. It is your spiritual birthday and the first day of your new life. I am honored to have you as a new brother or sister. The Bible says that at this moment the angels in heaven are rejoicing. When a person becomes a new believer, the Holy Spirit comes to live in them and seals them until the day of redemption (Eph 1:13-14). This means God literally dwells in each believer. Amazing huh? The Holy Spirit helps us in many areas, among them He: teaches us (1 Jn 2:26-27)(Jn 14:26) leads us to truth (Jn 14:17) (Jn 15:26) comforts us (Jn 14:18)(Acts 9:31) and helps us to pray (Rom 8:26).
As a new Christian there are several things that you should do to strengthen yourself in this new life you have.
1. Get a Bible and read a little each day. We have a link on our site where you can find Bibles online to read if you don’t have one yet. You can also check out a few versions. There is a continual debate in the Christian world as to which version is best. I personally have found that the King James Version, while maybe the most accurate, can be hard to read. My favorite version to read is the NASB. The NIV is also a good version, and probably the most popular today. I started my walk with a Life Application Study Bible. It comes in many versions. I recommend it.
2. Find a good Bible preaching church. Church is a blessing in many ways. It helps you to find fellowship and worship with other believers, it is a way to participate in the taking of the Lord’s Supper, it is a place to join in prayer with and for others, and to be a part of baptisms. Baptism is something you will want to do soon, as a sign to others of your new faith.
3. Pray. Praying is how we communicate with God. Ask and pray in Jesus’ name. He is there for you anytime. You may not get all that you ask for, but God says He has a perfect plan for you. Trust in Him and His plan. Look for, and thank Him, for His blessings. Praise Him for what He has done. Confess and repent of your sins.
I pray that this site will bless you and help answer some of the questions you might have in your new walk with the Lord.
May the Lord bless and keep you always!