Q: #383. What are the differences between Christians and Jehovah Witnesses?
A: Following is a chart which lays out some of the key differences between Christians and Jehovah Witnesses.
JEHOVAH WITNESSES TEACH THAT: CHRISTIANITY TEACHES THAT:
1. Jesus is not God. 1. Jesus IS God.
(See: Jesus “IS”God)
2. Jesus is the Archangel Michael 2. Jesus is not an angel.
(Heb 1)(Heb 2:6-9)
Angels cannot be worshipped, (Rev 22:8-9)(Rev 19:10)(Col 2:18) yet, Jesus is to be worshipped (Mt 2:11)(Mt 15:25)(Mt 28:17)(Jn 9:38)(Rev 4:10)(Heb 1:6).
Michael could not rebuke Satan (Jude 1:9) yet, Jesus did on several occasions i.e. (Mt 4:10).
Angels will not be in charge of the world to come (Heb 2:5), but Christ will (Lk 1:32-33)(Isa 9:6-7)(Heb 1:8).
3. Jesus was created. 3. Jesus created ALL things.
(Jn 1:3)(Col 1:16)(Heb 1:10)
4. Jesus died on a stake, not a cross. 4. Jesus died on a cross.
(Mt 27:32)(Mk 15:21)(Mt 27:40,42)
(Mk 15:29-30,32)(Heb 12:2)(Jn 19:17,19,25,31)(Col 2:14)
5. Jesus was not resurrected bodily. 5. Jesus’ bodily resurrection is a key part of salvation. It shows that we have a LIVING Christ, and because He overcame death, we can as well.
Proof of His resurrection and why it is important: (1 Cor 15:12-20)(Acts 13:30-37)(Rom 10:9)(Rom 4:24)(Acts 2:31)(Rom 8:11)
He was touched: (Mt 28:9)(Lk 24:39)(Jn 20:17)
He ate food: (Lk 24:41-43)(Jn 21:12-13)
6. Jesus is not coming again. 6. Jesus will return.
(Mt 24:30)(Rev 1:7)(Jn 14:3)(1 Th 4:16-17)(2 Th 1:7-10)(Mt 16:27)(1 Cor 1:7)
7. Hold several writings equal to the Bible, and use their own Bible translation (New World Translation) that was written by 5 men who could not read, nor speak, Hebrew or Greek fluently. 7. The Bible is the ONLY God-inspired book, and we are NEVER to add to it.
(2 Tim 3:16)(2 Pet 1:20-21)(Ps 138:2)(Prov 30:5-6)(Deut 4:2)(Deut 12:32)(Rev 22:18)
8. Salvation by works, not by grace alone. 8. Salvation by grace alone, not by works.
(Eph 2:8-9)(Titus 3:5)(Rom 4:4-5)(Rom 3:27-28)(Gal 2:16)(Rom 11:6)(Rom 9:31-32)
9. Hell does not exist, Hell is simply the grave. 9. Hell is a very real place where unbelievers go for eternal punishment.
(See link: Hell)
10. The Holy Spirit is not God, but rather, is God’s impersonal “active force” for carrying out His will. 10. The Holy Spirit is God with attributes which make up a living being including mind, will, and emotions.
Is God: (Acts 5:3-4)
(Omnipresent: Ps 139:7)
(Omniscient: 1 Cor 2:10-13)
(Omnipotent: Mic 2:7, Acts 1:8)
(Speaks: Acts 8:29, 13:2, 28:25)
(Speaks and hears: Jn 16:13)
(Prays for us: Rom 8:26)
(Teaches us: Jn 14:26)
Will: (1 Cor 12:11)
(Can be grieved: Eph 4:30, Isa 63:10)
11. There is no conscious existence after death. 11. We have an immaterial part of us that survives after death.
(2 Cor 5:6-8)(Phil 1:21-23)(Lk 23:43) (Lk 16:19-31)(2 Cor 4:18)(2 Cor 12:3-4)(1 Pet 1:19-20)(1 Cor 13:12)(Jn 12:26)
Here is a GREAT (and simple) way to get Jehovah Witnesses to question their denial of the deity of Jesus using the book of Revelation (which most Jehovah Witnesses love).
Question: First Ask: Who is the Almighty?
Answer: Their answer will be: God.
You Reply: Ok, let’s see if you are correct.
Go to first verse: (Rev 1:8). Show them they are correct. Say: Alpha/Omega, Beginning/End, right? They will agree.
Go to second verse: (Rev 21:5-7). Show them they are again correct. Again say: Alpha/Omega, Beginning/End, right? They will agree again.
Go to third verse: (Rev 22:13). Show them they are correct a third time. Again say, you are correct a third time. Alpha/Omega, Beginning/End, First/Last, right? They will still agree.
Go to fourth verse: (Rev 1:17). Read it, then STOP. Confirm with them it is the same as the previous verses. They will agree.
Continue on to (Rev 1:18). Then ask them: Are you saying that God died?? Most Jehovah Witnesses will be confused by this, and have no answer.
However, I would urge most Christians to be VERY cautious when considering witnessing to Jehovah Witnesses. They likely know the Bible better than you, and they are VERY good at twisting Scripture to make their points. They can confuse and mislead you greatly if you are not prepared.